Monday, March 14, 2011

Menu Monday: Pantry Freezer Challenge

This morning I was trying to get food from the too packed freezer.  I figured while I had it spread out on the floor I might as well inventory what I had there.  Wow!  I had no idea I had so many meat meals on hand...and that was just in the freezer alone.  A little later I was trying to retrieve tuna from the pantry cupboard and was shocked by the messiness of that whole area.  There's so much food there still, even after moving several items into the auxiliary pantry in the craft/guestroom closet.  And then Mama stopped by this afternoon bringing in a rotisserie chicken and a dozen Danish.  Oh my pantry overflows truly! 

As it happens, I could use a pantry freezer challenge for the rest of this month.  Our account has been hit this past two weeks with extra gasoline expenses and a little savings in the grocery area should just swing my budget back to balanced once more. 

Monday:  Tuna Salad on Whole Grain bread, Apples, Sun Chips, Cupcakes
I had hamburger out but no plans for it as yet, when we received a call that Rabbi was on his way over to talk with John.  I knew he'd probably have not had lunch either, so I made up plenty of tuna salad.   I stretched it with some additional items I had in the fridge.  I'd forgotten how lovely tuna salad sandwiches are on a warm day...Just wish I'd had some lemonade on hand.  Or had made iced tea and served with that fresh mint in the fridge...

Tuesday:  Cheeseburger Mac, Tomato and Lettuce Salad, Steamed Green Beans, Rolls
Chance made this suggestion as I was mixing the tuna salad.  I thought it a great idea, since we've not had it in a long while.  I'll be making bread, so I can easily make rolls out of half the dough.

Wednesday:  Chicken Chef's Salad, Biscuits, Lemon Ice Cream
I know I'll eat lunch out with Mama this day, but I'll be hungry in earnest by the time the evening hours roll around.  I think I'll use some of the chicken from the rotisserie bird Mama brought us to make a lovely salad for me.  I'll slice some to make sandwiches for Chance.  I'll make a full recipe of biscuits, so we'll have some on hand for breakfast as well. 

Thursday:  Corned Beef Pasties, Steamed Cabbage Wedges, Potatoes O'Brien, Irish Soda Bread
I know, I know, I'm a day behind...Well so what?  I love corned beef and I know full well I'll deeply regret it if I miss my favorite Irish meal this week.  Today suits my time better than yesterday might have, but you go on and do it on St. Paddy's Day.  I'll cook my corned beef on Wednesday, just won't start using it until this day.

Friday:  Corned Beef Reuben, Creamy Potato Soup, Apple Brown Betty
I have all I need on hand to make the reubens, can make extra potatoes on Thursday.  I have five pounds of apples in the fridge and only need one or two to make Apple Betty.  This dessert is one of those simple, homely things, but I do love it.

Saturday:  Arroz con Pollo, Green Salad, Mexican Cornbread, Texas Brownies
I'll take this meal to synagogue for our meal following service.  I don't expect I'll bring home many leftovers from this but if I do all except salad will freeze well enough.

Sunday:   Cubed Steaks, Squash Casserole, Green Beans with Creole Topping
I'd forgotten I even had squash in the freezer until I started pulling things out.  I like squash casserole well enough to eat it as an entree, and often do eat it so if there are leftovers enough for me to have lunch the following day.  I'm pretty sure I'll have leftovers since I'm the only one who'll be home this day. 

No comments: