Monday, May 2, 2011

Menu Monday: May Day

It's May, it's May!  Yes, I am singing because it's May...it's a new month and I am prepared with a new list of goals for home and person, a list of projects as long as my leg, and the calendar is filling up with fun and wonderful things to do.  The heat of the hot months shouldn't hit us too hard until June, which makes May a prime time to work and play.

For the beginning of May, I've done an inventory of freezers so I'm sure of what to look for in sales.  Fortunately I had a few hidden surprises I'd forgotten I had, just meant for extending my foodstuffs for the month.

Monday:  Meatloaf, Green Beans and New Potatoes, Coleslaw, Cornbread
I made two meatloaves, one larger and one small.  The small one is enough for two meals for me.  The other went into the freezer uncooked.  I'll bake it later in the month.
Chance's work lunch for Tuesday: Burgers on Homemade Buns, Coleslaw, Potato Sticks

Tuesday:  Monday Meatloaf Sandwich, Chips, Pineapple Sundae
I'll use meatloaf to make myself a sandwich after I come in from grocery shopping. I ate out so much last week that I don't feel inclined to even buy deli takeout today.  The pineapple sundae is one of those experiments that turned out well: scoop of vanilla ice cream, juice packed pineapple, swirl of butterscotch topping laced with buttered rum extract.  It's easy and very very good. 

Wednesday:  Turkey and Dressing, Broccoli/Apple/Raisin Salad,  Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
I found 1/2 a cooked turkey breast in the poultry basket in the freezer.  I'd forgotten all about that.  Perfect for a meal and sandwiches, too.  The trick is how to serve Chance's favorite turkey and dressing and keep it light enough for warmer weather.  I think the broccoli salad will do the trick.  Leftover Pineapple chunks and a cake mix (I'll use the rest to make a cake for the weekend) will do for the Upside down cake.

Thursday:  Delivery Pizza, Salads
Chance asked for this especially.  No pizza delivery place in it's right mind would deliver way out here...they will however, deliver to our son's apartment.  The plan is to take lunch to him and spend the afternoon on the lake where he lives.

Friday:  Spring Chicken Salads, Rolls, Grapes, Dark Chocolate
I cooked chicken breasts over the weekend for sandwiches and a salad for Chance's lunch.  One leftover breast will be sliced thin, along with green onions, radishes, bean sprouts and chow mein noodles over a bed of fresh greens.  I have Raspberry vinaigrette dressing to go on the salad.  Served with warm rolls, icy cold grapes and creamy dark chocolate...I think it will be the perfect warm spring dinner.

Saturday:  Oneg dinner: Macaroni and Cheese, Chunky tomato and cucumber salad, Crusty Bread, Coconut cake with Lime filling
Mac and Cheese in the crock pot for the main dish.  The cake baked earlier in the week will be split, filled with lime butter and frosted with coconut butter cream frosting.

Sunday:  My favorite: Chicken Pot Pie, Green Salad
I know it's Mother's Day, but no plans here.  My kids will call, so I'll stay home to hear from them.  I've taken care of Mama's Mother's Day present and she'll be with my brother and his wife for a meal.  Since it will be just me, I'll heat a frozen pot pie (love those things!) and make a simple salad.  If there's leftover cake I'll eat a piece and if not, I might just break out that Chocolate Bunny, lol.

No comments: