Sunday, June 19, 2011

Bringing Back An Old Fashioned Summer


Here's my newest bit of inspiration...

I'm tired of wasting summer complaining about how hot it is, how  badly we need rain, and various other whines that go on and on.  This morning as I stood in line at the grocery, I found myself anticipating the aroma of charcoal smoke and the taste of grilled steak.  And that's when it hit me.  I spend entirely too much time complaining about what I dislike about summer, but no pleasure at all in what is good about the season.

The scene above is just one example, a gathering of friends and family around a pool with a picnic meal.  So let's explore summer together.  I'll share recipes of summer favorites and posts now and then, or just photos,  of fun things that I enjoyed from childhood summers and maybe, just maybe, we can find our way back to enjoying this season.  What do you say?  Who wants to join me in bringing back the pleasures of an old fashioned summer?  If you find yourself moved to share a memory when a photo, recipe, or post comes up feel free to share in the comments section.  I'd love to hear how you remember summer, too.

3 comments:

Kathy in Illinois said...

What a wonderful post, Terri!! I was thinking the same thing when I read your previous post of what summer means to you. We do grill alot in the summer- every Sunday- weather permitting- and usually in between too. In fact we had t-bone steaks on the grill for Father's Day today! Yum!! We had lots of fresh fruits- water melon, cantalope,cherries, "Georgia"peaches and grapes. A favorite summer memory is in the summer evenings my 2 sisters and I would put on a circus for our mom and dad. Then we would sit out in the metal lawn chairs and watch the sky and catch fireflies! We would swing on the huge tree swing and play croquet. I wish I could go back to those carefree days again. I hope you get lots of feedback on this one. I will be reading. Thanks for the memories.
God bless, Kathy in Illinois

Michele said...

Funny, I was just sharing stories from my childhood summers with my "bored" children.

Kay said...

I decided to do this (enjoy summer) a few years ago, as my children grew up and moved away. My Farmer is busy with long hours during this season, & I used to resent that he wouldn't stop and just sit on the patio or enclosed porch with me. Then I decided to just do it myself and enjoy my own company. (and God's.) I furnished my porch with chairs and a table and some fun decorating pieces. I made our patio more user friendly with chairs, a bench and sweet smelling herbs. Now when I have some free time, and the heat isn't too bad, you'll find me in one of those two places, reading or just watching nature.