Monday, June 20, 2011

Menu Monday: Sigh


Here I was so worried about managing our food budget on the challenge limits and felt a wee bit upset over the $6 extra I'd spent.  Do you know, we've probably eaten only half the planned meals.  We've been busy, busy, busy and that has affected our meals.  I used a pound of the ground meat I bought at one store to make burgers for supper one night and leftovers went into Chance's work lunch.  That used about $3.00 of the foods I'd bought.  I bought a deli chicken and that has made up the rest of our meals.  Today instead of beef ribs, we had steaks.  That meal cost us about $10.  My expenses for this past week have come in at around $25 total.  Much less than I'd anticipated, and that includes the steak dinner. 

So we're starting week two with a bonus amount of food.  At present, I don't plan to buy anything at all for the rest of the week. I've milk, bread, and some produce on hand.  At best I might have to buy bread and milk this week. 

On to menu plans for the week ahead.

Monday:  Steak Salad, Stuffed Baked Potato Halves, Garlic Toast, Grapes
We had an extra steak and baked potato from Sunday's Father Day meal.  Chance will enjoy this encore presentation of his favorite meal.

Tuesday:   Chicken Rice, Carrot Slaw, Corn Muffins, Melon Cubes
Chicken carcasses from the freezer are boiled and the meat removed from the bones.  Chicken rice is a favorite meal in any season. Chance likes it less soupy and thicker, so it makes a hearty entree. 

Wednesday:  Tuna Salad Plates, Crackers, Frozen Lemonade
Tuna salad on lettuce lined plates with sliced tomatoes, carrot curls and cucumber slices will be light and refreshing.  I have both saltines and buttery round crackers on hand, but if I didn't I'd probably make cheese straws to go with this meal.  Bought lemonade ($1 for a half gallon) is blended with ice to make a frozen lemonade treat.  Top with a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry for a dessert presentation.

Thursday:  Summer Vegetables plate, Corn Muffin, Peach cobbler
Squash Casserole, Green Beans with Potatoes, Fried Green Tomatoes, Corn on Cob...That's my produce and what I'll prepare for my plate.

Friday:  Chicken Parmesan, Spaghetti, Green Salad, Garlic Bread, Frozen Blueberries and cream
I'll make the chicken dish on the stove top, simply pan frying the breasts (I have three in the package and will set one aside for sandwiches), then adding a little tomato sauce and topping with cheese.  I'll cover with a lid to melt the cheese.  If you haven't tried frozen blueberries, take my suggestion and do so.  They are incredibly delicious and refreshing when served frozen.  A dollop of whipped cream, no need of sugar, will bring the dish up a notch.

Saturday:  Leftovers
With Chance working this week, I'm sure to have plenty of leftovers, so today's meal will clean out the fridge.

Sunday:  Corn and Cheese Enchiladas, Tomato and Avocado Salad, Banana Sorbet
A new recipe that uses corn tortillas...I priced these at the grocery for just $.77.  I have an excellent homemade enchilada sauce I'll use instead of buying the recommended can of sauce.  Banana sorbet is so simple to make.  Frozen bananas blended until smooth and creamy like ice cream.  One recipe calls for maple syrup as sweetener, another calls for plain bananas.  I'll taste test and go from there.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hey there!
I just wanted you to know that I am completely moved over to WordPress now, but for some strange reason, Google Friend Connect may not be picking up new posts from me so that you can see them in your Blogger Buzz updates on your dashboard (if you use that at all.) Anyway, I don't want to lose connection with you, so would you do me a huge favor and use the link and go over to the new site and either subscribe thru email, RSS feed (the dark pink flower button under "Get Connected!") or go thru Friend Connect again and see if that works. I'm so sorry about the hassle, but I really want to stay in contact with you! And I will still be reading and commenting on your blog whenever I can too! Thanks.
Lisa
Come Visit Anytime!