Monday, August 20, 2012

Menu Monday






I haven't thought too hard about meals since last week.  The roast chicken was made Saturday morning.  We had sandwiches from one of the breasts then, a light supper that included the legs (1 each) Saturday evening and then the other breast divided between the two of us for our dinner yesterday and I put the carcass on to boil last night.  With the thighs and wings, plus the pickings of meat from the bones, I have about 3 cups of chicken.  I'll be incorporating that into this week's meals.  I love how meals seem  to just naturally stretch and grow these days. I call it a blessing.

I made a Plum Tart using this recipe:
 http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/plum-tart-recipe2/index.html

Monday:  Corn and Bean Enchiladas with Cheese Sauce, Pineapple Salad, Pudding
I am not locked into the idea of a meatless Monday but I do try to serve meals that use no meat at least once a week and are very light (used more as flavor/seasoning) twice more.  These enchiladas do not come across as being meatless at all because they are well seasoned and the combination of rice mixed in with the corn and beans creates that 'perfect protein' that satisfies the appetite for meat.


Tuesday:  Chicken and Dumplings with vegetables, Coleslaw, Plum Tart
I need to use some flour tortillas that I've had in the fridge.  If cut into strips they cook up a little fluffy and tender much as homemade dumplings would.  I thought this would be a nice use of them.  I do find that well seasoned broth (plenty of salt to taste, pepper, garlic, onion) will make a better soup base for the dumplings.

I made the Plum Tart on Sunday.  It is really delicious but truly it is a bit tart.  My plums were not nearly as sweet as the last batch we'd bought, which explains why they were left behind no doubt.  Since I'll be running out today to pay bills, I'll pick up a pint of vanilla ice cream.  I think a scoop of that on slices of the warm tart will offset the tartness.

Wednesday:  dinner out
I don't know which day we'll be out shopping and running errands, but I am certain that a meal will be eaten out sometime this week.  No need to plan to cook.


Thursday:  Slow Oven Stew, Waldorf Salad, Corn Muffins
I may end using the slow cooker for this recipe.  It's a very good stew, with a tomato based sauce.  I'm craving autumn and the good hearty foods we'd eat in that season.  This stew should hit the spot.

Friday:  Oven Fried Chicken Breasts, Steamed Broccoli with Lemon Butter,  Mashed Potatoes
I suspect these breasts will be large and we'll get two meals off the two.


Saturday:  Eggplant Parmigiana, Pasta, Green Salad, Crusty Bread, Plum Tart
Mama gave me a medium sized eggplant the other day.  I'll use the half jar of pizza sauce mixed with a bit of tomato sauce for my Parmigiana.  We'll finish the Plum Tart

Sunday:  Grilled Marinated Chuck Eye Steak, Grilled Zucchini, Mushrooms, Bell Peppers, Onions, Tomatoes, Crusty Bread
I've never tried a Chuck Eye Steak but I read about them recently in one of the magazines Mama gives me.  I asked the butchers about them when I bought meat last week.  One described them as a 'bit chewier' than Rib Eye, but honestly the rib eyes there are so tender that the Chuck Eye seemed worth the try.  At about 1/2 the price I figured I wasn't out much money.  The butchers assured me that marinating would  help tenderize the meat.
I expect to have leftover vegetables.  I'll serve next week over pasta or on a pizza.

No comments: