Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Weekly Meal Plan

A quiet finish to the week in my home.  John is not feeling up to par.  He reminds me periodically that he is not sick but simply resting to keep from being ill.  It's cold and cloudy and very windy today.  Ever since we've entered winter season on the 21st the weather has been decidedly wintry.  I'm not complaining.  Winter here means cold days with freezing nights and bouts of rain.  We had rain again last night.  I noted that there was only a 10% chance of rain on the weather forecast.  I should be so lucky with a lottery ticket!

Meals...Nothing appeals to my husband just now.  So I am just making whatever I want myself and hoping he'll eat some of it.  I'm trying to plan meals that are Vitamin C rich, nourishing, aromatic enough to penetrate a stuffy head.

Tamale Pie, Green Salad, Clementines
I'll use thawed chili from the freezer and add corn to the mixture, then top with cornbread  and cheese.  I haven't made a tamale pie in quite awhile and don't want to make a big 9 X 13 pan of it this time, so I'll try to keep the proportions smaller.

Stuffed Cabbage Soup, Corn Bread, Peach Cobbler
Leftovers from our porcupine meatball dinner last week will be 'madeover' into my version of stuffed cabbage soup.  I'll make a peach cobbler with peaches that expire this month.  I hope it will tempt John to eat a bit more.

Chinese Takeout, Rice, Steamed Broccoli
For our New Year's dinner an easy to prepare frozen version of Chinese takeout.  We'd planned to buy an entree but picked up a frozen dinner bag from Aldi instead last week.  The price is about half the cost of take out entree.  I can steam broccoli in just a few minutes.  Our dessert will likely be more Clementines.


Slider Sandwiches, Sweet Potato Fries, Baked Beans
I'm taking Mama to the doctor, John will be home.  He can heat these in the microwave.


Salisbury Steaks, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Grape Tomatoes, Biscuits
Just a glorified hamburger with gravy but very good for a cold wintry sort of day.  I'll make the biscuits for dinner and put half aside for raspberry rolls for breakfast.


Tuna Noodle Casserole,  Green Peas, Broccoli Salad
I'll use bow-tie pasta for my noodles...and again I'll be downsizing the dish. I'll add a bit of chopped red bell pepper (high Vit C) to the dish for added color. We certainly don't need a huge pan of this hearty dish for the two of us!  There are several versions of broccoli salad.  We especially like the one that uses diced apples, craisins, and roasted nuts with finely chopped broccoli.

Roast Beef, Baked Potatoes,  Canned Asparagus, Russian Salad, Rolls
I don't want to do a pot roast this week but to have roast to slice for sandwiches as well as for our meal. I may make it as Granny used to so that it cooked slowly in the oven in it's own gravies.

No comments: