Sunday, March 17, 2013

Weekly Meal Plan: Pantry Freezer Challenge Week III

I've decided that I'll probably sail through next week without a care as my pantry/freezer are holding up very well to this challenge.  Even the meat that I had on hand has gone further than I thought it might.  I think this is wonderful and am really pleased.  I was fortunate last week that Mama shared some fresh produce items with me.  This meant I could extend our produce items by choosing the ones less likely to keep well and those that would keep longer.  No need to use up all of the broccoli right away, since it will keep well for another week.  Apples will keep, but the grapes won't, so we've had grapes this weekend and will have apples for the beginning of this week.

Baked Ruebens, Creamy Potato Soup
I put the rye bread in the freezer when we got home from the grocery almost two weeks ago.  I couldn't get another corned beef as the store was out and I thought this menu would do nicely for a St. Patrick Day meal. We should have leftover corned beef and bread so there will corned beef sandwiches for supper one night later this week.  

Chicken Fried Rice, Egg Rolls, Tangelo
I put so many vegetables in the fried rice (mushrooms, onion, celery, carrot, peas, broccoli stems) that I feel with the egg roll we're safely getting two servings of vegetables each and possibly more.    This will be the last meal from our whole roasted chicken.  I'll put the carcass in the freezer to make broth with in the very near future. 

Cubed Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Broccoli Apple Salad
I moved the broccoli apple salad from last week to this week.  I really like this salad.  It's a fresh alternative for a winter salad bowl.  You can add raisins, craisins, a bit of onion, toasted nuts or sunflower seeds to this salad to extend it.

Homemade Sausage Pizza, Tossed Salad
The last time I made pizza, I made the dough ahead and put in the fridge.  It rose there overnight and was the best dough I've made to date.  I plan to do the same this time.  I'll won't use vegetables on my pizza this time.  I plan to have a salad filled with tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, olives

Quiche, Hash Browns, Green Salad, Biscuits
I froze the leftover asparagus last week instead of using in the egg dish and will thaw to use in the quiche today.  I'll make my own pastry from scratch.  The remaining Swiss will be used in this dish, too.  Hash browns will be made from scratch as well.

Tortilla Towers, Corn with Cumin Butter, Salad with Ranch dressing
I have corn tortillas in the freezer.  I'll make a batch of homemade chili, use half for this dish and freeze the rest for a future meal. 

Smokey BBQ Sandwiches, Coleslaw,  Sweet Potato Fries 
Smoked turkey meat, homemade bbq sauce on whole wheat rolls.

Corned Beef Hash with Fried Egg, Cornmeal Pancakes, Applesauce
I had enough corned beef left for another meal.  With rainy cool weather predicted for the weekend I think this meal might just hit the spot for us.  I've a jar of applesauce that needs to be used up.  Some for dinner today and some for a dessert later in the week.

No comments: