Sunday, March 24, 2013

Weekly Meal Plan: Pantry Freezer Challenge Week IV

Wow what a Week End!  Grandbabies and their parents arrived Friday afternoon.  Dear DIL made dinner.  I don't know how she does it, drive 5 hours to our house and then make dinner, but then again she'd been in close confines with the kiddos for 5 hours so maybe that was a huge break for her!  She spoils us a bit, always has a new item or recipe she wants to try.  Friday evening was a fancied up meal of Artisan tomato soup and Panini style Grilled Cheese that was grown-up sandwiches: Havarti and Gouda on three cheese Italian bread.  Campbell's tomato soup suddenly seems so...I don't even have words.  Let's just say that I'd much much rather have the Artisan soup, but I'll probably have another can or two of Campbells soup before I give it up and admit that I've been turned into the worse tomato soup snob ever born. 

It was a rollicking weekend.  It was stormy outside with rain and thunder and lightning and inside it was just as noisy and loud.  Sleepy babies, babies thwarted in their intent to do exactly what they know they oughtn't, parents and grandparents shouting a warning to the nearest adult to prevent the disaster just milliseconds away, and a wee older brother who has just discovered the lack of freedom when twins become mobile enough to follow  you every single place you go.  Yes.  It was awesome.

I made a bunny cake.  I haven't made one in years upon years and no there will be no pictures forthcoming.  It was the oddest looking thing and I didn't think ahead before I got it made.  I used a recipe I'd found late last year and wanted to make for my own birthday cake back in February.  For one reason and another I didn't get to make it then.

I made the bunny cake that starts with a single round layer, cut in half and set on the cut ends to form the body. Then I had this brilliant idea to use a tiny portion of the batter in a regular cupcake tin and another tiny portion in a mini muffin tin to make the head and tail portions, an addition of my own that I thought was brilliant.  Heaven help me.  I got the thing assembled and frosted and it was a right mess with a wobbly head and droopy tail. I used a cut plastic straw to hold the head and tail in place, fashioned ears from a white paper plate and shoved them in.  At this point I was down to eyes and nose.  Only I forgot to buy the candy I'd meant to use to decorate it with.  So I used two pastel blue peanut M&M candies for the eyes and a pretty pink one for the nose.  At that point I decided I'd best stop the decorating.  It was pretty weird looking.

But it gets worse.  I couldn't cover the thing because with the addition of the head and tail it was too long to go in my cake carrier.  That's not the worst thing that can happen.  I knew the frosting would 'dry' somewhat and protect the cake from drying out.  I didn't know that it would also dry out the M&Ms which cracked so my rabbit had chocolate bloodshot eyes and a funny looking nose.  But it gets worse.  Because you see, in my lack of thinking ahead, when you cut into my bunny cake there inside was the cake...a cherry nut cake so the whole thing ended up looking rather macabre.  Thank goodness my grandson is three and thought it just fine.  The rest of us sort of shifted our eyes away from one another and let it rest.  It did taste pretty good, though.

Well, enough of my foolishness.  I am a woman blessed.  Our pantry and freezer are still full-ish, our home is pretty much ready for Passover and the Feast of Unleavened bread.  The weather report is that the cold is blowing in once more on another blast of Arctic air.  I've just the meals to remedy that cold spell.

Leftover Baked Spaghetti, Green Salad, Toast, and the Unfortunate Rabbit Cake
I made the spaghetti dish Thursday.  Somewhere in between there and Saturday when I first served this meal, the sauce 'disappeared'. It had been so nice and thick, a real meaty layer in the middle of the spaghetti dish.  The pasta must have absorbed the sauce.  It tasted good but it came across as flavored pasta.  We finished off the casserole today.

Flank Steak, Hashbrown Casserole, Spring Salad, Muffins
Dear DIL provided the main course Saturday night of a marinated flank steak.  It was very tasty and John was pleased as punch when he heard that she'd left the leftovers in the fridge for us.  (I discovered a container of that awesome tomato soup, too as I rummaged about.)  Spring Salad: green peas, green onions, thinly sliced radishes in a green salad.

Pot Roast with Root Vegetables, Corn Casserole, Coleslaw
There should be enough roast for two meals this week.  The corn casserole will make enough for two casseroles for us.  I'll pop one in the freezer.

Arroz Con Pollo, Black Beans,  Iceberg Wedges
I love this hearty rice casserole that cooks on the stovetop.  I've learned to cut the rice packets in half.  I suspect we'll have leftover black beans as well, so two meals from one here.

Black Beans and Rice, Salad with Avocado, Pico de Gallo, Flour Tortillas 
If the black beans and rice looks a little small for two servings, I'll add in some of the roast pieces from  Tuesday.  We'll shred it and roll in the tortillas with some enchilada sauce and cheese, add in rice and beans to 'fill it out'.

Cheese Omelet, Grits, Fried Apples, Biscuits
I read a tip today to add 1/4tsp baking soda for each egg you use in your omelet.  The soda will combust when the eggs begin to heat and create a lighter and fluffier omelet.  I'll be trying that tip this week.

Teriyaki Chicken Wings, Steamed Pea Pods, Fried Rice, Eggrolls
I have the rice and eggrolls, and the chicken wings plus a bottle of marinade on hand.  At most I'll purchase 1/2 pound of snow peas or pea pods for us for this meal, only because I know I'm running low on vegetables.  If I decide against even that purchase, I'll steam green peas or heat green beans.  We'll se ehow I feel at the end of the week. 

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

That is a funny cake story. My children all have the gift to be so smart alecky~i can only imagine the remarks they would of made.
Glad you all had a good weekend.