Monday, January 10, 2011

Menu Monday - Brrrr!

Sleet, snow, rain, freezing temperatures, grey skies....I need hearty meals!  It's supposed to be fairly cool all week long (once we're through this spell of tempermental winter weather).  I've been up for hours, becuase unusual weather such as this brings on sleeplessness as I think of the precautions that must be taken, worry about Chance going in to work (he did and arrived safely...and went prepared to stay the night if necessary which is less worrisome than having him on the roads in the dark).

So I've piddled about the house doing a whole lot of nothing really.  The house doesn't need a hard cleaning since I was gone most of the weekend days.  I swept ice and snow off the front porch and fed and watered the dogs and cat and tried to encourage each to shelter somewhere warm.  Only the cat seems sensible in that regard. 

We've a few special things going on this week and perhaps a delay in shopping.  Thank Goodness I have a well stocked freezer/pantry and had already challenged myself to make meals from what was on hand.

Monday:  Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, Tossed Salad, Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
Give me a cold snow day and I want rich hearty meals.  We've tried in the past to get by with lighter fare and only ended up starving, raiding the kitchen later like we'd been without food for days.  I know better now.  What is wanted is a meal that has plenty of carbohydrate, plenty of flavor and protein.  There's good reason why it's referred to as "stick to your ribs" fare and it has nothing to do with weight gain, lol. 

Tuesday:  BBQ'd Roast Chicken, Sweet Potatoes,  Brussels Sprouts, Corn Bread
I stopped at the grocery yesterday to restock on the essentials: milk, eggs and dog food.  I scanned the sales paper and discovered the deli had whole roasted chickens for $4.99.  Whenever I can buy a whole cooked chicken for under $5 I do so.  I find the rotisserie chickens are very good value for the money, convenient and tasty.

Wednesday:  Chicken Fried Steaks with Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Biscuits
Cubed beef steaks breaded and fried make up my chicken fried steak.  The biscuits today are leftover from biscuits made on Monday, without the cheddar and garlic added in.  I divided dough in half before seasoning on Monday.

Thursday:  leftovers
I'm on my own today.  Chance will has a special luncheon to attend.

Friday:  Orange Chicken, Rice, Steamed Oriental Vegetables, Almond Sandies
I'll use boneless skinless chicken breasts, onions, celery and carrots with an orange based sauce using concentrate and soy sauce.  I'll make extra rice to use as a base for tomorrow's dessert.

Saturday: Beef Stew ,Cabbage SaladCorn Muffins, Rice Pudding
Dinner at synagogue this day following service.  A crockpot of stew will stay nice and warm while we have service.  The rice pudding will stay warm in a crockpot as well. 

Sunday:  Beef Stroganoff Casserole, Salad with Beets and Boiled Eggs, Crusty Bread, Chocolate Pie
Alan is moving into a new place this week.  This meal will be portable to go to help him move/unpack and keep us all nourished for the work day.

No comments: